Tuesday 7 February 2017

Half-full

            A few months ago, I came across an article about positive thinking. The gist of the article was basically that anything you do for 21 days becomes a habit, and thinking positively is no exception. So, it proposed that one should think of everything – literally everything – with a positive outlook for three weeks, at the end of which their thinking pattern would have changed.
            I decided to try this, since I had recently come to realise how negative my thinking pattern was. So for 21 days I looked at the glass as half full. I generally believe that articles I see on Facebook rarely amount to anything worthwhile, but this proved to be an exception. Because now, the way I think is so different.
            When I get homesick, I realise that I’m lucky to have such an amazing family that is so hard to live away from. When a plan I’ve been looking forward to gets cancelled, it’s probably because something just as nice or maybe even nicer is about to come in my path instead. When I’m not certain about my future (which seems to be the case lately), it just means that there are so many options to choose from, and for that I am grateful.
            This is not to say that I don’t complain or have negative thoughts at all. It does happen. But for the most part, I feel that life has become a lot happier since I decided to start looking at the same things I was looking at before, but from a different angle.

            I’ve heard so many people talking about the power of positive thinking and all those clichés. And I thought they were just that – clichés. But I guess I was wrong. Because the past few months have been so amazing. And it’s not because something changed on the outside. 


No comments:

Post a Comment