Thursday 23 February 2017

Learning to Forgive

I have never been a forgiving person and as a child I was completely ignorant to the power of forgiveness. It is not that I actively disliked the transgressor, but I did hold grudges and pretended like the other person didn’t exist. I never had the desire to seek revenge, nor did I wish to harm my transgressors in any manner. According to me they didn’t owe me anything and hence they did not have to be nice to me.

Fast forward a couple of years I realised that this form of coping, did not work so well when one wanted to create strong and long-lasting bonds. During my second year in college I started living with my sister. It had been a couple of years since we had lived together and as children we did routinely fight, but it never transpired into anything major. As young adults a lot had changed. It wasn’t just that our ideas of running a house were different, but that we had a different world view. As a result, we hit a lot of road blocks and faced many differences. In these conflicts, I really couldn’t ‘run away’ from forgiveness as I was never going to be physically relocated from her presence. She was a constant and I wanted her to be one. This was an individual transgressor who I could not forget or hold a grudge against. By learning to let go of small things and forgiving her for the big ones (she had to do the same with me), our relationship became a lot more open and comfortable. This process really helped me in other situations where I had previously not been so forgiving. So I tried to make a change in the way I handle sour relations. For a period of time I attempted to seek out individuals who I had completely shut out of my life and gave them a prompt invitation back in. It was tough and many just ignored my attempts at reconciliation, nevertheless I did grow as a person.


Today I am happy to say that I practice forgiving whenever the situation asks for it, hoping others will do the same, cause we all transgress at one point or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment