Friday 10 February 2017

The Flicker of a Candle

There have been times when I felt disheartened and lost sense of self-worth due to various experiences in life. One of the situations where I often felt blue was when my peers used to only approach me in the time of need and ignore my presence the rest of the time. Then I happened upon a flickering candle light in the dark and a thought dawned to me. Looking at the flame bringing light to the darkened room, my assistance to my friends appeared like the same light bringing some hope in their minds. I felt like the candle that people only light when it is dark and there is a need for it, which helped me recover from the devastation that I was facing.
Observing the flickering of the candle flame in the wind, I can’t help but wonder how it is adaptable yet strong at the same time.  Resisting the wind from blowing it off, it tries its best to stay lit even during stressful times. This thought strengthens my inner self when I am in distress and in need of support. The flame of a lit candle when perceived from a distance looks calm and beautiful like a mountain seen from a distance and the roughness not being evident. It is when we go near the flame that we feel the heat burning through our skin. The limited heat radiated by the candle light is concentrated at the zenith reaching for the skies, keeping the ambiance of the ground cool and serene. It seems like the candle is reflecting every person’s state of mind in this chaotic and busy world.
A slothful man not working up to his full potential is like a candle that is not lit. The wick of the candle, being the soul of the shining light, needs to be burnt and utilized in order to fulfill its purpose; or else it is just a piece of thread with some wax which is of no use in the world. It is through the dark experiences of the soul that we get the bright light of wisdom, much like the blue flame deep near the wick leading up to the dazzling yellow flame in a burning candle.
No matter what the color of the wax or the wick is, the color of the flame remains the same, much like the people. No matter what we do to present ourselves differently or even try to cover up our inner self, it is ultimately the same life we all live. Our body is a burning candle with the wax protecting the life and soul but at the same time melting with the heat of the same soul, the last breath being the last flicker of the flame until it finally dies leaving behind a puddle of wax.

As Anne Frank said, "Look at how a single candle can both defy and define darkness", ultimately, contemplating the multiple layers of elucidation that a small candle contains restores my sense of self worth and reason for existence in the world during the dark times. The light of a burning candle ignites the mind lost in the dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment